Monday, April 16, 2007

War of Attrition '07

This was my first official game as a member of Team Extreme Measures and we played the French on our home feild at Strategy Plus. In the AM we sided with Germany after giving them sanctuary at our base and being attacked by Allied Forces. After a few hours of the Germans making themsevles a little too comfy in our land of wine and cheese, with the help of Allies Forces and some artillery fire we gave them 'Das Boot'.

First time at Strategy plus and while the terrain was very hilly, it offered some really great opportunities for concealed movement using natural and man-made cover (cliffs, gorges, rock outcropings, varing brush density, laurel bushes, bunkers, buildings, spools, tubes, etc). The Paint was ok but I think most of the team made a poor choice in purchasing the Blizzard cold weather paint as opposed to the premium summer paint. I didn't get any breaks but the paint wasn't the most accurate for the warmer day that it turned out to be.

It was a beautiful day to play though and I played rather well. I don't think I was ever shot out without getting 1 or 2 people out myself. I got away with not getting out through a number of skirmishes. My number of kills might have been a little higher but since I can't remember exactly, I don't want to guess too high. I remember at least the number I recorded in the play log in my brigade page. Three of my deaths were during the final battle when we were defending our base from both the German and Allied Forces and our re-spawn point was our tank (a Chevy Suburban with 8 guns sticking out)! Eventually I ran out of air and before I could reinsert we had teamed with the Allied Forces, and ultimately gave them the points to win.

There were several memorable moments. One was when I and a couple teammates were holding a line just outside our base perimeter against advancing opfor. We were spread out with about 30-40 yards between us. They were advancing losely scattered and we'd wait until they'd move into our 'kill zone' One of us would engage and if the one didn't get them right away a second or third would open another angle or slide in for a flank manuveur. After one, two or three kills we'd reset our line. Up goes the kill/death ratio.

Another moment was when our base was getting harrassed by opfor on three sides and our squad of 3 swept through an arc outside our perimeter eliminating all we encountered. When we reached the 3rd side, we found a second squad of friendlies had swung around outside our base in the opposite direction and were at the opfor's opposite flank. We popped the opfor like a zit on prom night.

Another time, I went out to cause some trouble with Craig from RT Raiders and one of his buddies. Seems there was some trouble at a location called Teepee. We spread out and marched through sending OpFor packing. As we pushed forward our friendlies rallied and we all cleared bunkers and flipped a couple flags as we went. I personally got to flip one at the artillery behind teepee as we secured the area.

La pièce de résistance, would have to be the battle finale at our French base. We were outnumbered by at least 5-1. We didn't have enough numbers to mount a proper defence given the layout and terrain. We were surrounded by both Germans and Allied Forces who wanted to take our base to secure their respective wins. Paintballs were whizzing by from 360 degrees all around. As I'd see a few balls coming at me from in front, a couple would go past from behind. I'd send longballs out of my flatline in attempts to keep opfor out a distance away and when they popped out close up from behind a ridge or building... I'D LIGHT THEM UP LIKE A DISCO DANCE FLOOR ON SATURDAY NIGHT. DANCE BIATCH!

We seemed to hold the base for quite a while. As I mentioned, I ran out of air and at the same point, we lost our re-insertion point (the tank). I had to huff it back to the other side of the feild to get air and re-insert. I was half way back when the game was called. In that time a deal was struck with the Allied Forces and the Germans were repelled. The allies won by a couple points. For the record... the French were not collecting points at this game. We were there to role play, act as mercinaries if we felt like it and just make the game more interesting. Basicially at one point or another, WE GOT TO SHOOT EVERYBODY!

One of the guys on the team took some pics. I'll get them up on the blog ASAP! I also have some from Hube's pocket and possibly from Stalingrad.

No comments: